Daddies Need Reassurance Too (Opinion)

 Daddies struggle too.

Much as we like to build them up on a pedestal and see them as almost godly, they get tired and grumpy and sick.

Just like their little ones.

So what happens when Daddies don't feel 100%?  What happens when they need looked after but are, often, too stubborn to accept such care from their little ones?

And what happens when their little ones feel they can't help the one person who matters most to them?

I can only speak from MY experience, but my Daddy is a stubborn arse who is in constant Daddy Bear mode and hates to be taken care of.  He will say that nothing is bothering him.  He will say everything is OK.  He will tell his little one not to worry.

Here's a secret, especially to all you Daddies out there who say the same things when they are struggling:

  • We're not daft!  We have eyes and we can see when something isn't OK with you.
Hell, I can sense when there's the slightest shift in Daddy's body, or if he sits differently.  So telling me everything is OK when I can see it isn't, fuels my anxiety even more.

My little has crippling anxiety and Daddy has been my one and only safe place ... so when I see my Daddy struggle in any way, I feel unsafe.  I spin and spiral.  And if he doesn't let me know what is wrong, even if I CAN'T help, I feel helpless and sad and useless.

And my little hides.

Deep inside.

And it fucking hurts so bad.

Now, I totally understand why many Daddies, hell, why most men, don't admit when they are struggling - physically or mentally:

  • fear of ridicule
  • fear of being seen as less masculine
  • fear of not being seen as a good protector or provider
  • not wanting to scare or upset your little/partner
  • past events have led you to only rely on yourself.
I get it.  I truly do.

I can only speak for myself here BUT, even when I'm little, there's NOTHING that could ever make me not love my Daddy.  I'd do anything for him.

And helping him when he is struggling helps to ground me too.  
Helps to keep my little from hiding.
Helps me to reassure him that he can rest in my arms and l will protect him, as he does me, every day and night.

Because all Daddies struggle.

And they deserve the care and reassurance they give us little ones.

They just need to let us.

Comments